Thursday, August 4, 2011

Budo Road Trip Day 1

Back in June, I was fortunate to get an invitation to attend a seminar by Kensho Tokumura Hanshi, the Headmaster of Tokushin-Ryu Ryukyu Kobudo. Then shortly before the seminar, I was given another invitation to come to a semi-private class taught by Tokumura Sensei at the Okinawan Budo-kai dojo of Jeff Perkins Sensei in Livonia, Michigan.

On the 26th of July, my traveling partner Jason Thompson (my kohai, and a student of my father’s) and I got all of our stuff packed into the car and started out on our little road trip up to Michigan. I have to admit that I was off to a bit of a slow start, after having worked the majority of the night on a pretty big bust, but it didn’t take long before I was fired up and ready to train with Tokumura sensei.

We got some breakfast and I went to my wife’s work to tell her good bye, and off we went, enjoying the drive and talking about what else – Karate and Kobudo. We were almost to Ft. Wayne when my son, Alec, called to tell me he had found my Sai case and Tokumura Sensei gift still at the house, so we had to turn around and go all the way back home. But after the minor detour, we still managed to make the trip in just a little over 4 hours.

Once we arrived, we got checked in at the hotel, who advised us that they could not honor the on-line arrangements we had made and that the room would cost more. Let’s just say that after a meeting of the minds they came to see my way of thinking. As soon as the room was taking care of and our luggage was unloaded, I called Perkins Sensei and let him know we had made it. Perkins sensei advised me that they would be at the dojo around 6 and we could come at that time. So Jason and I had a bit of time to kill and went for some lunch and to check out the local mall and book store.

We arrived at the dojo at 6 pm and Tokumura sensei was teaching the kids class, we were directed to the back room, where we changed into out keiko-gi and meet with Perkins Sensei and a couple of his yudansha. After the kids class Tokumura Sensei came in and introductions were made. As is the custom, when I spoke with Tokumura Sensei, I presented my business card to him while bowing, I think this surprised him as he hurried off and got one of his cards to give to me, but he had a big smile. I tried to talk with him about Goju-Ryu, but he really didn’t seem interested in talking about it, so I decided to wait it out and concentrate on Kobudo.

Class Started at 7 pm and after we bowed in, there was a small presentation of a Boar Spear from the dojo to Tokumura Sensei. Then Tokumura Sensei made a “presento” to Perkins Sensei, by promoting him to Kyoshi Hachidan in Tokushin-Ryu Kobudo.  After the presentations were completed, we started off by warming up with Sanchin kata (Sanchin Dai Ni). Tokumura Sensei went around and made some corrections to the group, when he came to me, he asked me to do my breath again. I had used the method of long inhale and long exhale. He advised me to breath with a long inhale, long exhale, quick inhale and quick exhale. When I asked him about this further, he advised me that it was more beneficial. We then moved on to Kobudo. Perkins Sensei took a group of us tto breath with a long inhale, long exhale, quick inhale and quick exhale. When I asked him about this further, he advised me that it was more beneficial. We then moved on to Kobudo. Perkins Sensei took a group of us that included Jason and I out the parking lot and instructed us in the Teechu kata. Tokushin No Teechu. After working it for about an hour, we went back inside and performed it for Tokumura Sensei, who made some corrections and he seemed pleased with our progress. He had us do it a few times and then explained the bunkai of the kata to us. He then had us do the kata again and gave us the complement of “Good, Good”.

After Class was over, we were invited to go out to dinner with Tokumura Sensei, Perkins sensei and a couple of his yudansha. As we were getting dressed and ready for dinner, I attempted to ask Tokumura sensei about Gojuryu again, I was answered with “You like my Kobudo?”, which I answered yes too and gave up on the Gojuryu questions. I asked Perkins Sensei, if maybe I was losing something with the language barrier, but he said no, and that I should ask again later.

At dinner, we went to a nice restaurant/bar, where we talked about budo and police work, since Perkins sensei is also a Lieutenant with the Detroit Police Department. We had a nice time and it was a great way to end the day. As we were leaving, I made arrangements to take Tokumura Sensei and Perkins Sensei to lunch the following day. In the parking lot, I made one more attempt to bring up Gojuryu, by asking Tokumura sensei about a movement in the Kobudo kata. When he demonstrated the kata he performed it in a specific way and it reminded me of Muchimi (or Mumichi), so I asked him if this was that was the correct method. Typical of Okinawan sensei, Tokumura Sensei then gave us a small lesson in the parking lot.

After that we went back to the hotel for the evening and Jason and I worked a bit more on the kata and made some notes before calling it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment