Monday, September 27, 2010

The Karate Creed

When I was a small child, even before I began training in Karate, my father would sometimes take me to the dojo, of his teacher, Mr. Glenn Keeney, where I would sit and watch class. I remember that they would recite what they called the karate creed.  In 1977, when I started training at my father’s dojo, at the beginning and ending of each class we recited the karate creed. In 1982, when I began training at Mr. Keeney’s dojo, we still recited the creed.  Somewhere after 1990, we stopped doing it.  I am not sure why we stopped reciting it, I never thought to ask why.  I also remember that for years the creed was engraved on a plaque that hung in the Komakai Dojo, and every time we moved the dojo, it was again hung in a place of honor, however, I do not remember it hanging in the last dojo.

My point for all of this is that I feel the creed helps to promote meiyo or honor into a class. The creed itself is simple, but the meaning that one takes away from it can be many. I am sure that each reader will read it and take away there own thoughts about it, some may look at it and say Mike you’re an idiot, others might read it and say it is profound in its simplicity.

 空手の信条 私は空手だけとのあなたに来る。 私に武器がない。 しかしもし自分自身を守るためにIが強制されれば私の主義、か私の名誉。 もしそれが生命の問題か死、権利または悪事なら。 私の武器はここにそれからある、 空手-私の空手。

Karate Creed

I come to you with only karate.

I have no weapons.

But should I be forced to defend myself, my principles, or my honor.

Should it be a matter of life or death, right or wrong.

Then here are my weapons,

KARATE – my empty hands.

In my opinion, this small creed helps to instill a sense of pride and honor into a student. Not the modern day I will kick your but attitude that some have, but a sense of here I am I don’t want to use what I know but if you force me to then I will, but only in defense of myself, my principles, or my honor. I think that these days too many people learn karate because they got beat up and want revenge, in return the teacher doesn’t care why they learn as long as he can pay the rent and over head. I for one feel a sense of responsibility to take the students I have accepted into my dojo and make them upstanding and productive members of society, I think by instilling teachings such as the karate creed and dojo kun into them and leading by example, you will provide your students with tools that will assist them in becoming well balanced and productive members of society.

No comments:

Post a Comment