Saturday, December 29, 2012

Taking Stock


Every so often I take stock of what it is that I choose to do with my life involving budo, is what I am doing working, is it showing progress, do I need to change things up, ect. In the dojo I teach the students Okinawa Gojuryu and Ryukyu Kobujutsu, every once and I while I will deviate and show an Aikido or Jujutsu waza, but for the most part it is straight Naha-te.

As for myself, while I spend most of my time on Gojuryu and Kobudo, I do spend a fair amount of time practicing stuff I have learned outside of Goju. Over the past decade I have managed to obtain yudansha grades and even Shihan menjo in several other ryuha; Aikido, Jujutsu, Iaido, shuri ryu, Shorin ryu (Kobayashi, Matsumura Seito, Matsumura Kenpo, Sukin hayashi, Seidokan, Ryukyukan, Dentokan), Shito ryu, Uechi ryu, as well as a few others. Even within Gojuryu I have diversified, while my main study is in the Jundokan method, I have managed to achieve yudansha grades from several of the various goju kaiha.

I guess I just like to train, I never set out to obtain rank in any of them really, it just happened. I catch a lot of grief from some people about training in too many things, “how can you learn all of that and be any good at it?”. I am not sure that I can be, I am not sure that I have any real skill in budo at all to be honest. I am just a guy that keeps going and tries to learn as much as I can and remember it. I am sure if you asked my teachers in these other styles they would say “Oh he is terrible, he has too much goju in his shorin” None the less I keep at it.

I wonder if the founders of the various styles and factions over the years had similar thoughts. After all didn’t most of them train with a few teachers and pick and choose what they wanted to teach in there dojo’s? Isn’t that why we have so many styles, because everyone had their own take on it?

Would it be wrong of me to pick out the kata I like and teach them in my dojo, to mold the curriculum to what I want it to be? What I want to pass on to my students? Is there anything wrong with me teaching gojuryu to my students and then later teaching them Naihanchi, Passai or Gojushiho? Teach them two systems even? A Yushikan curriculum devoid of ryuha?

Seriously what are your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I can only speak from my own experience. When I first began training in Shito-Ryu with Shimabukuro Sensei he was teaching Hayashi-Ha Shito-Ryu. Hayashi had incorporated several Ryuei-Ryu kata into Hayashi-Ha, but had made slight modifications to them. Shima Sensei taught me the original Ryuei-Ryu versions instead, saying "If you do Ryuei-Ryu kata you should do Ryuei-Ryu way. Otherwise, why do the kata at all?" For that reason, Shima Sensei also introduced me to Higaonna Morio Sensei, who was living in San Marcos, CA at that time and had me learn Seisan, Sanseiru, and Suparimpei from him. "If you do Naha-te kata, you should know Naha-te way." He encouraged me to learn Tomari-Chinto from Nishime Sensei and Tomari-Kushanku from Oshiro Sensei for the same reason. He used to teach techniques from other styles, especially Shorinji Kempo, to advanced students. But he also never abandoned the ryu-ha. Instead, he encouraged his students to learn a ryu and supplement their knowledge with methods from other ryu-ha ... comparing and contrasting their use and effectiveness.

    ReplyDelete