Sunday, April 1, 2012

Recent Training


I have not written much lately, I have been busy in my new role at work, getting things in order and attending mandatory training courses. It has been a busy last four months, but I have managed to get things under control and almost too where I want them to be in my professional life, so I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel so to speak.

Earlier this month I had the opportunity to spend some time with my good friend, Roy Hobbs Sensei. Aside from talking a bit and catching up some, I was also invited to a private training session at the Denbukan dojo in Indianapolis, where Hobbs Sensei spent a great deal of time training us in the Dentokan (Hakkoryu/Kokodoryu) Jujutsu set of Sandan Gi. Hobbs Sensei is a very detail oriented instructor and if you have never had the chance to share the mat with him, you should, he is an excellent technician. Needless to say some of the students had a rough way to go when trying to use the techniques on me (I guess all of those years of hojo undo paid off), but not Hobbs Sensei, in true form he had me up on my toes.

After the private workout, we went over to the dojo they use for public classes and had an open seminar, there were a few more people at this event then the private workout, and we continued to train in Sandan Gi Tachi Waza.

After training we had dinner with Hobbs Sensei and our host Andy Bryant. My wife was most gracious and agreed to let me attend the event on our 19th Anniversary; she even hung around and took some pictures for me. Hobbs Sensei also presented me with some gifts that he had brought back from his last trip to Japan.

I had a great time, as I always do, and I can not stress enough that if he is ever in your area, you really should make the effort to train with him, you will not be disappointed. I count myself very lucky to have him as a close personal friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment