Monday, December 13, 2010

A Warrior's Training


I have trained in the martial arts since 1977, in doing so, I have had two goals to my training. 1) To be able to defend myself and survive, and 2) to preserve the traditional methods of karate. What I want to talk about today is my first goal, pleae don't confuse my comments with the new UFC craze, while it is a nice sport, it has nothing to do with what I mean.

In our lives as martial artists or Karate-Ka we do many things to grow ourselves. Much of it is presented to us by our sensei and many of us only do it when he does it again in class, or when we happen to come upon someone else who is doing the same thing. That only leaves us at the practice level. Practice is a must, but, when do we step up and train? Is there really a difference between practice and training? The answer to that question is yes. In my opinion, one must develope the mindset of a warrior and train like your life depends on it, because it may.

So how does one train like a warrior? What does it mean to be a warrior?

A warrior means many things to me. I have had the honor of knowing and working with many warriors in my life. They all share common traits. Military organizations are made up of real warriors. Police and fire organizations are full of them. I have known many  martial artists who would qualify for "warrior status".  Even though it may seem that I am only equating fighting/military/police with a warrior, I am not. Anyone regardless of profession can be one. It is a mindset.


First of all a true warrior is someone that stands by his/her principles and beliefs. It is someone that is committed to conquering his/her fears and self-limiting beliefs. It is not just about being positive but about waging the war against self-doubt and a negative mindset.


A firefighter or police officer will go into a burning building, save a family, and then say "it was nothing". A police officer will put his/her life on the line everyday without giving it a second thought. The combat soldiers that I have known have that mindset. They may feel fear but it does not consume them or stop them from accomplishing their mission. We take these people for granted, unless we share the same mindset. That is a warrior. Seems like no big deal? Well there are plenty of people who run the other way.


Training like a warrior means taking on the challenge of working hard. Of pushing yourself to the limits. The methods should be integrated, functional and in many aspects, primitive.


Military and Police type training is designed for that. It is brilliant in its simplicity and in it's functionality (for obvious reasons). Anyone that ever goes through any type of basic training starts to develop those qualities. It happens by overcoming challenges that seemed insurmountable at the onset. When you accomplish something that seemed impossible it changes you. The more you do that the "stronger" you become inside and out. You develop the habit. There is nothing like obstacle course training without sleep or  being blinded by peper spray and being made to efend yourself or fight, for making a person tough.


Traditional martial arts training can also develope these qualities. The work is hard, the attention to detail is exacting and the inherent danger keeps you focused. I can't recommend martial arts training enough for anyone looking for a great workout and greater self-confidence. It is said that a man learns his true nature in combat.


Another question is whether or not warriors are born or made. I am not totally sure. Most people never see their true potential and are not willing to put themselves in situations that would force these qualities to emerge. I think that their is a warrior in all of us. The trick is in finding the motivation to find it, dust it off and put a shine on it.


This is why I have so much respect for anyone that serves others, thereby putting the greater good ahead of their own needs. Whether you are a pacifist or at the other end of the spectrum, we all owe so much to the brave men and women that serve their country in the military or in police or fire services. They deserve our thanks and gratitude, and I am not saying that just because I am one of those people.

Now I understand that most people will not train hard, most people just want the new pretty belt handed to them and don't want to work for it. Most people will never even need the tools or knowledge provided in karate, because they will never be attacked. I have read the averages and the statistics, but do you want to take the bet that you will be one of those people? I don't, I know everyday when I walk out the door and leave for work, that it might be the last, my job is inhearently dangerous. I train on a daily basis, albeit, some days harder then others, but  always train with the mindset, that today will be the day that I have trained for all of my life.
Many of the training techniques and concepts that I am known for are based on traitional martial arts training and are great whether you are a cop,an athlete or a stay at home mom. They will develop the mindset, the warrior spirit and the physical conditioning needed to survive the chaos of combat and the unpredictability of life. Everyone that has experienced this training has found something that "spoke"' to their inner warrior.

Many of my students (and even police cadets) have heard me say that practice is for the body and training is for the spirit. That is an easy statement, that is very hard to fulfill even though many athletes do it all of the time. When you see athletes accomplishing amazing fetes that is the spirit at work. Martial artists can accomplish amazing fetes just as anyone else once they have transcended that level. So, it is that we must push ourselves to the limit, to step out of practice and into training. Are you willing to do that? How good do you want to be? Answer that not for me but for yoursef, but before you do remember, that you will fight like you train!


So are you a warrior? Are you ready to walk through life like a warrior? Are you ready to go through the tough training that it takes? If so, I wish you luck and success on your journey. It will afford you a life time of happiness and pride.

Please also remember that as you train your body and spirit, you must also train your mind, pay head to the dojo kun. Just because you train hard, and may have developed superior skills, to that of your dojo mates, there is no need for ego, or rudeness.


If you enjoyed my article, please feel free to leave a comment and please read this excellent article http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm Lt. Col. Grossman expands on what I have said here and has some interesting view points.

No comments:

Post a Comment